Monday, December 15, 2008

We're Freezing in Fort Worth

Coming up on 2 in the afternoon we are still below freezing here in Fort Worth. As in right now it is 28 with a Wind Chill Factor making it feel like 19. According to WeatherBug.

That's me hiking at the Tandy Hills about an hour ago in the dark photo. It's a snow clouds type sky. The white stuff may fall later today. That happens rarely in this part of Texas.

I had to find my long underwear to make hiking possible. I think I had 4 layers on top, two of which had hoods, both of which I pulled over my wool stocking cap. And I wore two pairs of gloves. Eventually I overheated.

Now, I know you're wondering if I went swimming this morning. Well, wonder no more. A bit before 8 I went down to the pool. The air temperature was 25, with WeatherBug saying it'd feel like 19, due to the wind. It was less windy this morning than when I went hiking, which I guess accounts for WeatherBug's Wind Chill Factor being the same 19 degrees.

So, this morning was the oddest getting in the water sensation yet. Due to the air being so cold the water felt warm. I stayed in it longer than yesterday when both the water and the air were way warmer than this morning. I swam maybe 10 minutes, then got in the hot tub. Did not stay in the hot tub long. I got out and back in the cold water for about 2 minutes.

I think I have gradually desensitized my skin nerve endings. They are so traumatized now that I think they've given up sending signals to my brain telling me that I should feel cold.

No comments: