Saturday, December 20, 2008

Durango Texas, the Town & the Person

Durango became my Internet Nickname way back in 1994. That year, or maybe 1995 my Durango named was tied to the name, Lulu, in a website Lulu's first husband made called Lulu & Durango In As The WWWeb Turns.

As The WWWeb Turns was soon Cool Site of the Day. Back when that meant something. As The WWWeb Turns was basically the email exchanges between myself and Lulu, with Lulu's first husband adding photos, most altered to give me a big forehead. As The WWWeb Turns may have been the world's first blog.

Lulu's husband soon tired of doing As The WWWeb Turns. One day I was summoned to his house and presented with the initial HTML for a new website, including a logo he'd made. The new website was called Dialing Doctor Durango. By then the Durango character had been established as being this sort of overbearing know-it-all. It wasn't a hard part to play.

Dialing Doctor Durango soon became a monster. I got questions from all over the world. Many of them not getting that it was a joke. When a German medical school listed Dialing Doctor Durango as one of the top 20 medical websites on the Internet, I decided the madness had to stop.

So, I started Durango World which continued after I moved to Texas. Around 1999 or 2000 I decided I wanted my own domain. I figured it'd be Durango something. Since I was in Texas I figured why not durangotexas.com.

When I chose that domain I did not know there was actually a town of Durango, Texas. Unfortunately for the real Durango, Texas, my webstuff sort of overwhelms searches for info about Durango, Texas.

Eventually I took a road trip to check out my namesake. It's a bit southeast of Waco. Durango, Texas has seen better days. It's pretty much off the beaten path these days.

You can go here and see what Durango, Texas, the town, looks like.

All you gotta do is look at this blog to see what Durango Texas, the person, looks like.

No comments: