Friday, December 5, 2008

New Dallas Cowboy Stadium & Chinatown

I had not been to Chinatown in Arlington in many a month. Nor have I seen the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium up close since the last time I went to Chinatown.

That's the new stadium behind the FINA station. The area surrounding the new stadium is rather forlorn looking, rundown industrial stuff and low end houses.

So, today I went to Chinatown to go to the new Saigon Taipei Market. And to Hong Kong Market Place. I got all sorts of good stuff.

Since I was in the neighborhood and I had a list of stuff to get at Wal-Mart, I decided to go to the Wal-Mart across the street from the new stadium. It's a super-nice Wal-Mart Supercenter. But by the time I got there it was past 2. I was hungry. The stuff on my Wal-Mart list could wait. I needed food.

The new stadium is nearing completion. It's a mess all around it of road construction. I had to follow a bulldozer going about 5 miles an hour for what seemed 5 miles. It appears that the entire area from the Ballpark in Arlington to the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium is going to be a parking lot.

It'd been so long since I've been in this area I was surprised to see the new Collins Street bridge over I-30 is completed. Three huge, fancy bridges are going to span I-30 connecting both sides of Arlington's Entertainment District that includes Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, The Ballpark in Arlington, the Dallas Cowboy Stadium and a lot of restaurants. With the new bridges it will be very pedestrian friendly to cross the freeway with covered walkways on both sides of the bridge.

It was sort of distracting looking up trying to figure out what was looking so different. I should have taken a picture. But like I said I was hungry.

No comments: