Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kill The Cockroach Part II

I told you yesterday I'd update you on the Cockroach situation.

The good news is this morning when I turned on the kitchen light I did not see any Cockroaches. The bad news is when I looked in the Las Vegas Roach Trap, that I told you about yesterday, well, I could not see any Roaches trapped in the trap. They may be in there, drowned in the coffee slurry. I'm not going to reach in and find out.

There are around 4,000 species of Cockroaches. Of those 4,000 only 30 Cockroach species like to live with humans. Of the 30 types of Cockroaches that like to live with humans, only 4 of the species are thought of as pests. I guess that make the other 26 pets instead of pests?

The pesty Cockroaches are the American, the German, the Asian and the Oriental Cockroaches.

Cockroaches are nocturnal critters, running away when exposed to light. Some Cockroaches hiss. I've not heard mine hiss. Other types of Cockroaches make chirping noises. Mine don't chirp, either. Maybe they are not Cockroaches.

Cockroaches can remain active for a month without food. They can live off the glue on a postage stamp. Some can go without air for 3/4 of an hour. I've flushed 2 down the drain and turned on the garbage disposal, only to watch them crawl back out when I turned the water and disposal off. Only brute force dispatches them. Garbage disposals aren't brutal enough. I had one hop into my fridge's freeze. I thought, he's a goner. The next day, when I opened the freezer, the Cockroach quickly sprinted out.

There is a popular myth that Cockroaches will take over the planet if the human beings destroy the world in a nuclear war. It is true Cockroaches have a greater resistance to radiation than humans. But the same is true of most insects. The reason a Cockroach can survive a heavy radiation dose is because their cells divide way more slowly than humans. It is when a cell divides that it is most vulnerable to radiation.

Well, that's enough about the Kill the Cockroach project for today.

No comments: