Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Sacramento Bee & Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Yesterday, that being Saturday, December 13, a guy blogged about my blogging at the start of the month about finally cancelling my subscription to the Fort Wort Star-Telegram. Actually his blogging pretty much consisted of linking to mine and copying it on his blog. His blog is called McClatchy Watch with the blog URL being cancelthebee.blogspot.com.

McClatchy Watch describes his blog as "mainly about the spectacular train wreck at The Sacramento Bee and its parent company, the McClatchy Company. But I also post about current events, the Iraq war, politics, and things that interest me. Take a look around this blog, I hope you enjoy it."

Then this morning, yet one more person calling him or herself Anonymous, commented on yesterday's McClatchy Watch. What made the comment interesting, besides being directed at the blogging about my paper cancellation, was the commenter has a Star-Telegram connection.

Here's the comment....

I left the FWST (Fort Worth Star-Telegram) months ago during one of the staff reductions in mid year. The newspaper was paid from my paycheck automatically, so I called to try and get it changed and pay for a year in advance. Three times I called and left messages and I still have not gotten a reply so that is that - I tried.

BTW - I'm still getting the paper - for free.

When they do catch on, I doubt I will continue. The paper is nothing but wire, which I can get for free on the Internet. And this content sharing with the DMN (Dallas Morning News) - no thanks. If I want the DMN, I'll buy it - I don't need them making my decisions. Sad situation - nothing but panic.

Last month I finally got a new job and can see what many others have said about life being better away from the newspaper business.

And then in what must be a related thing, yet one more Anonymous person made a comment. This comment was also made this morning. The comment was made regarding the blogging on December 1 regarding cancelling the Star-Telegram.

The commenter commented....

**crickets chirping**

I'm guessing McClatchy monitors what gets said about their newspapers in the same way Chesapeake Energy does.

No comments: