Friday, December 12, 2008

Interlochen Christmas Lights in Arlington Texas

I'd not been on my bike in a long time. It had a flat that I had trouble getting around to fixing, til this morning, when I came in from swimming and needed something to warm me up.

About noon I went to Village Creek Natural Historical Area to do some pedaling. The paved trail leaves the park after about a mile. You are then in what is called Interlochen. That's an Arlington neighborhood that is famous in these parts for its over the top Christmas Lights.

A couple years ago an Interlochenite was asked by D/FW Airport to tone down their lights due to distracting pilots. To those who have not seen Interlochen that likely sounds ridiculous. How could lights be that bright? Well, like I said, Interlochen is over the top.

Police have to direct traffic. It is very controlled. You can go in only one direction. One lane is kept open for residents. I probably shouldn't say this, but for those of us who live in the area, it's easy to know how to sneak in and avoid the 2 hour or more wait to get to the lights.

Interlochen is so-named, I think, because "lochen" is some language's word for canals. There are several canals in Interlochen. You can take a boat to visit the neighbors. The canals are all lit up as well as the front yards.

Today I got off the paved trail and pedaled some of the Interlochen streets. Christmas decorations have an entirely different look when the power is off and the sun is up. Most people go all traditional, manger scenes, reindeer, snowmen.

I saw a couple of somewhat original displays today. One had Santa kneeling over what I assume was Baby Jesus in a crib.

My favorite was a Pedro's Trailer Park themed display. At least that was my take on it. Santa was sitting in front of his brightly painted trailer, surrounded by palm trees, lots of lights and a big herd of big pink flamingos.

If it wasn't such a major deal to go to Interlochen at night, I'd go back to see Santa and the Trailer all lit up. The last time I went to see the Interlochen Lights was a couple Christmases ago with Miss Puerto Rico. We had libations on board. It was very festive.


CLICK HERE FOR MAPS & DIRECTIONS
TO THE INTERLOCHEN CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

No comments: