Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Return of the Unwanted Fort Worth Star-Telegram

My one longtime reader may remember that at the start of this month I cancelled my long standing subscription to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I had a lot of reasons to cancel. I've not missed reading a morning paper. I thought I would. A couple times this month, out of deeply ingrained habit, I've headed to the front door to get the paper in the morning. I've always caught myself before I actually open the door.

And now, today, the 17th, at about half past 6 in the morning I heard an extremely loud bang on my front door. The only thing that makes such a bang is the arrival of the paper. But it'd never been that loud.

So, I got up and looked out the window. There was a paper laying up against my front door. Maybe it's the Dallas Morning News, trying to get me as a subscriber, I thought, hopefully. But, I opened the door to find that it was the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that had made the loud thump.

Now for the weird part. I took the paper out of its wrapper. An envelope fell out. There was nothing on the envelope, no address, no name, nothing.

I opened the envelope to find a card, the cover of the card said "Christmas Wishes." Inside the card it said "Hope you have a Christmas that's as merry as can be!" Followed by the stamped signature and address of my fired newspaper carrier. Written in big letters under the teeny stamped signature was my fired carrier's phone number.

I've never gotten a card from my paper delivery person before, not that I remember. It perplexes me. I know she's an on her sleeve, constantly blessing you, Christian sort. Maybe she was turning the other cheek. I know some practicing Christians actually know how to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Star T is desperate.. they will cont. to deliver paper to you forever in hopes you will change your mind & come back to them! I worked there for 6yrs. The people there are money hungry execs who only care about cheating on their wives & hiring bimbo women who will sleep w/ them OR their clients to get ads in the paper!
When hired you had no choice but to subscribe to the paper, even though we get it free at work!
I guess thats corporate america.