Sunday, December 30, 2018

Checking Out Wichita Falls Lucy Park Flood

Earlier today I mentioned I was going to be going to Lucy Park today to see if the Wichita River has flooded into the park.

And that if Lucy Park was flooded I would make my way to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area's west end, because I assumed if Lucy Park was flooded, then the east entry to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area would also be flooded.

Well.

Lucy Park was flooded beyond what I thought possible. A gate blocked access to Lucy Park, with the Wichita River flooded to a point just a few feet past the gate.

The paved trail you see above leads from the currently gated entry to the now flooded Circle Trail. To the right the Circle Trail underwater leads to the manmade Wichita Falls. Likely currently not falling any water.


A look deeper into flooded Lucy Park, looking in the direction of the swimming pool and log cabin. To the left would be the duck pond we visited last Sunday. I was unable to tell if the swimming pool, log cabin and duck pond are flooded.

Leaving Lucy Park I headed west to the east access to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area, expecting the parking lot to likely be flooded.


I was wrong. The parking lot was not flooded, and the Circle Trail was not underwater for, maybe, a quarter mile, when I came to the location above, where the Circle Trail is underwater, a condition also known as flooded.


The above view looks across the flooded Circle Trail to the Wichita Bluff, where you can see a flood viewer standing on the bluff, who would have accessed the Wichita Bluff Nature Area from the far above the flooded river west parking lot.

Above, you are looking north at the Wichita River, the main channel of which is past the trees you see making the scenic shadows in the muddy water.

I have no idea if this flood is record breaking. I hope it has not damaged, or destroyed, the suspension bridge across the Wichita River. Or damaged the log cabin and duck pond. Or anything else. Like the Japanese Pagoda.

I am ready for warm air to return in the new year for some drying out action...

No comments: