Monday, November 28, 2016

Power Walking Wichita Falls With A Flock Of Sikes Lake Seagulls

I am feeling mighty fine. I have recovered from both Thanksgiving and my recent rare bout of ailing from a sore throat, cough, congestion and most of the other maladies which come with a cold.

Yesterday, that day being Sunday, I returned to Mount Wichita, a day after Saturday's pitifully weak singular summit climb. Sunday's mountain climbing went much better, albeit with the additional challenge of a strong wind battering me, particularly at the summit.

Today I opted to power walk north to Sikes Lake. A strong breeze walked with me, which made the windbreaker I was wearing extremely useful.

At Sikes Lake I came upon something one does not expect to see hundreds of miles from any salty ocean type bodies of water.

A flock of seagulls.

The photo above only shows a few of the large flock of Sikes Lake seagulls. For photo purposes I zoomed in for a close up of the blue heron guarding the flock of seagulls, with the zooming in cutting off most of the seagull population.

A couple weeks ago I took a photo of a blue heron at this exact same location. I assume it was the same bird today. This particular blue heron is not skittish about human contact, unlike most birds of this species I have encountered over the years.

It is now time for some Thanksgiving aftermath.

Turkey soup for lunch.....

No comments: