Sunday, July 31, 2016

Taking A Stand For The Better Angels Of Our Nature

I saw this this morning on Facebook via Bud Kennedy.

As I read this I found what I was reading resonating with what I have been troubled by lately during these troubling times.

Reading this also caused me to think of one of Lincoln's memorable quotes...

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

I can see Hillary verbalizing Lincolnesque words summoning us to the better angels of our nature. I don't even think Trump would understand what is meant by better angels of our nature.

Among what Ms. Kirkendall says in her Facebook post is....

"Sometimes it's important to take a stand for what you believe in no matter the consequences. I believe this is one of those times."

I am in total agreement with that sentiment.

Lately I have verbalized about being disgusted by the racist rantings of one particular Tarrant County Republican and the fact that I long ago removed him from my Facebook Friends list, after being appalled by his racist comments and threats against the president.

At some point I discovered that 12 of my Facebook "Friends" were "Friends" with this racist neanderthal. I verbalized my belief that this amounted to being a "Racist Collaborator" as in it amounts to condoning racism.

On the day I hit the publish button on Eliminating Racist Texas Idiots From Facebook One By One I un-friended 6 of the 12 Racist Collaborators whom I had never actually met or had any real contact with, other than Facebook comments. "Friends" I acquired via the last TRWD Board Election.

Subsequent to my latest blog post about this issue one of the remaining Racist Collaborators on my Facebook Friends list accused me of being a bully regarding this issue.

I was appalled.

How can someone be okay with having any sort of condoning contact with a vile racist of the worst sort, and say I am a bully for finding such to be inexcusable?

I am not a bully. I am an anti-bully.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone who pegged it 19 years ago:

....Trump, who had aspired to and achieved the ultimate luxury, an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul....

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/05/19/trump-solo