Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Rare Visit To Fort Worth Takes Me Over A New Bridge Over Water

A couple times in the past week I think I made mention of the fact I was going to be in the Dallas/Fort Worth zone today.

I also mentioned that I did not think I would make it to the zone of America's Biggest Boondoggle to photo document the reports I have received indicating the area of former construction of the only one of The Boondoggle's bridges being built, is currently an abandoned ghost town.

Months ago, The Boondoggle's bridge project of building three simple little bridges over dry land to connect the Fort Worth mainland to an imaginary island, had ground to a halt due to serious engineering design problems.

The Boondoggle claimed their bridge building was a four year project. Longer than it took to build the Golden Gate Bridge, over deep, moving, water, and many other feats of engineering around the world.

None of which had as their project director the unqualified son of a local politician. Yes, you reading this in America, Fort Worth is basically a third world banana republic.

In many ways.

But, when you get a Fort Worth public works project out of the control of the local corrupt oligarchy, well, stuff gets built with an efficiency that matches the civilized parts of America and the world.

For instance.

Today I did end up in Fort Worth, near where I used to live in far East Fort Worth. When it came time to head back to the Northwest I opted to take Randol Mill Road west. For a little over a year now an upgrade to that road, between Oakland Boulevard and Beach Street has been underway. This project includes three bridges, with two of those bridges built over dry land which flooded a couple times during construction.

With the main bridge proving a bridge can be built over water in Fort Worth, In this case the Trinity River as it flows out of Gateway Park.

During the construction of this bridge the Trinity River went into major flood mode twice, with one of those floods rising suddenly, leaving heavy construction equipment stuck in mud and under water.

And yet, somehow, today, I was able to drive over that bridge, along with the now almost completed road upgrade, which I must say is going to be a HUGE improvement when completed.

The photo at the top is the view of my steering wheel starting to steer on to the new bridge.

After driving over the new bridge I headed to Watauga for lunch. Prior to that Elsie Hotpepper texted me about doing lunch. But, Elsie did not show up in Watauga.

After lunch I headed Northwest, back to Wichita Falls.

Slightly past Decatur all hell broke loose in the form of a thunderstorm with heavy rain causing a lot of flash flooding. I saw the thickest lightning strike I've ever seen zap down a slight distance to the north of me.

And then I was out of the storm as fast as I had entered it, back dry again.

When I got back to my abode and stepped out of my vehicle, into the HEAT, a pool dip quickly seemed like a good idea. And so it was. I am starting to like the saltwater pool. The saltwater seems to cause extra buoyancy.

Or maybe this is caused by all my excess adipose tissue.

The pool saltwater does not cause a Great Salt Lake type of annoying buoyancy where one feels like a salty cork that could not sink if it wanted to.

Anyway, it's been a tiring day. And now it's about time to watch the democrats being decent humans, as opposed to.....

No comments: