Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Seeing Possible Sikes Lake Bird Solidarity With Washington High School Walkouts

Another beautiful blue November day north of being deep in the heart of Texas.

Yesterday I power walked three or four miles on the Circle Trail, eventually enjoying the water wonders and scenic mountain views of Lake Wichita.

Today I decided to power walk in a more northwesterly direction with Sikes Lake as my walking destination.

I don't know what was going on with the Sikes Lake bird population today, what with all the birds of all the various sorts being out of the water.

Even the blue heron you see above was not water bound. Usually birds of the blue heron sort are skittish, but this guy was so un-skittish I thought it might be injured. I was able to get close enough to see no apparent injury.

Maybe the Sikes Lakes bird population was joining the throngs protesting in support of those feeling threatened by the recent election.

Moments prior to exiting my abode I learned via Skagit Breaking News, on Facebook, that yesterday students in my former high school, that being Burlington-Edison High School, and students in the high school of the town I lived in prior to moving to Texas, Mount Vernon High School, left school to protest in support of those feeling threatened by the recent election.

The MVHS students marched to the Skagit County Courthouse, about a one mile march. I do not know where the B-EHS students marched, but I am fairly certain it was not the Courthouse, because that would be about a five mile march.

I do not know if it is still the case, but for decades, beginning back during the 1960s, during the Vietnam War, a peace vigil occurred at noon on every Wednesday at the county courthouse.

I saw a BIG example of this way back in November of 2004 when I happened to be in Mount Vernon on a Wednesday, exiting I-5 to downtown where I quickly found myself seeing protesters in large numbers doing their Wednesday vigil thing.

I recollect taking pictures that day. Just a sec, I will go see if I can find them....


Well, apparently I only took one photo of the protesters that day. I was more focused on taking pictures of how well landscaped Mount Vernon's freeway exits were, and its public transit hub, as compared to the pitiful freeway landscaping in the Texas town I was living in at the time.

Was Twitter already alive in 2004? I don't remember. But that would explain the abbreviated spelling of  'SHOULD"....

No comments: