Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Crossing Galloping Gertie On Way To Wichita Falls Sculpture Of Nature

It had been awhile since I had rolled my mechanized wheels to Lucy Park for a nature walk.

And so, this day before Thanksgiving that is what I did.

Soon after the nature walk began I found myself crossing the Wichita River via the Lucy Park Suspension Bridge.

Today a fellow bridge crosser turned the Lucy Park Suspension Bridge into what seemed like a Texas version of Galloping Gertie.

Galloping Gertie was the nickname given a suspension bridge in my old home state of Washington. Galloping Gertie crossed the Tacoma Narrows. The bridge was poorly designed and so it swayed way too much when hit with winds. And then one day Galloping Gertie galloped out of control and tore itself apart. Now two suspension bridges cross the Tacoma Narrows in Galloping Gertie's place. And neither of them gallop, no matter how windy the wind gets.

After leaving the Wichita Falls version of Galloping Gertie I soon found myself at the Wichita Falls version of a waterfall.


The Wichita Falls waterfall always seems to be falling the same volume of water, when it is in waterfall mode and not in dry falls mode.


Soon the nature walk walked me to the top of Wichita Falls, where a look out had me looking directly over the top of the falls.

Today I saw a historical market type thing I had not noticed on prior visits to Wichita Falls.


A plaque from New York with the following message on the plaque...

TO THE PEOPLE OF
WICHITA FALLS, TEXAS
MAY THE PROSPERITY OF YOUR CITY
BE AS LONG LIVED AS THIS
SCULPTURE OF NATURE

PRESENTED TO YOU UPON THE
REBIRTH OF YOUR
FALLS

FROM THE PEOPLE OF


THE CITY OF 
NIAGARA FALLS,
NEW YORK

JUNE 5, 1987

Sculpture of nature? Did these Niagara Falls people not realize this is not a real waterfall of the work of Mother Nature sort? And that it was not a rebirth of the original falls? Which are located about a mile downstream?

Doesn't matter, still was a nice gesture from the New Yorkers. But, how in the world did they find out about the new waterfall in Wichita Falls?

No comments: