Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Funhouse Village Creek Mirrors And Getting Cranky About Arlington's Really Bad Train & Transit Woes While Dressing Elsie Hotpepper

I find the Village Creek Natural Historic Area's funhouse mirror very useful. With it I can easily document my huge weight gain's ever swelling beer belly.

Accomplished with no beer consumption.

Well, there was that beer I had against my better judgement, last April, at the Prairie Fest. But, that seems too long ago to account for a beer belly.

Village Creek has shrunk a lot since my last viewing. Unlike my aforementioned beer belly.

After I was done getting fresh air in the shade of giant oak trees I headed to ALDI. The last time I went to ALDI I got stuck behind a malfunctioning train track crossing, heading north on Bowen, after leaving ALDI.

This time the track was stuck as I headed towards ALDI. I was about 10 cars back. Vehicles were getting out of line, turning around and heading the opposite direction. I would then move up a space. When I was 6 vehicles back, with no train and no train whistle, I decide to leave the heard of Sheeple behind and go around the crossing guard rail, or whatever it is the blockage is called.

In my rear view mirror I could see some Sheeple following my bad example.

When I was done at ALDI, about 20 minutes later, getting back on Bowen Street, heading north, back towards the train track, I could see the crossing lights were still flashing, but traffic did not seem to be backed up too bad.

Soon I saw why. There were now 3 Arlington cops directing traffic around the crossing guard rail barrier. Southbound would get a turn, then northbound.

How idiotic.

Arlington is the biggest town in America that is bisected by a train track, with only a couple streets that cross without being blocked. In other words, south/north bound traffic grinds to a halt whenever a train rolls through town.

That's bad enough.

But then you have train traffic signals that apparently regularly malfunction, I assume, unless it is a freak coincidence that I came upon this happening twice in the past 2 weeks.

And then you have the cost of cops being employed to direct traffic due to this malfunction. Is the railroad billed for this?

And then you have all the gas wasted by all the vehicles that can not move.

I really think it would behoove Arlington to spend less time worrying about building and helping pay for sports stadiums and a little more time worrying about and paying for some of Arlington's serious infrastructure woes. Including being the biggest city in America without any public mass transit.

Yes, America, you read that right, the home of the Dallas Cowboys, the Texas Rangers and Six Flags Over Texas has no public mass transit. Not even a bus system.

I have to go now. I've received an urgent message from Elsie Hotpepper saying she needs help getting dressed.

No comments: