Monday, September 12, 2011

Village Creek Natural Historic Area Tree Limbs Crash While Flowers Bloom Spiting The Great North Texas Drought

A Natural Pecan Tree Loses A Limb
It is being another clear blue sky HOT day in North Texas, currently heated, according to the Weather Underground, to 100 degrees.

It was not that HOT when I left air-conditioned comfort and headed to Village Creek Historic Natural Area around noon to walk under the shade of giant oak trees.

We have had no high winds blowing through North Texas since the last time I walked under the Village Creek giant oak trees. And yet, since I last walked among them, several have lost limbs.

I suspect the Great Texas Drought of 2011 is causing trees to lose limbs. It's tragic.

Village Creek is no longer flowing. Pools of water remain. I don't know what's happened to the fish and water snakes. The turtles seem to be adjusting, though a bit extra skittish.

The Drought Clematis
The Village Creek Bayou is now totally dried up with large swatches of brown vegetation. And yet, somehow, since I was last in that location, flowers are blooming.

The flowers are growing from vines growing beside the dried up bayou. I'm not much of a flower identifier, but these looked like clematis. I tried to grow clematis a time or two on my Washington rooftop garden. Never successfully.

Obviously, whatever this flower and vine is, it is very resistant to the Great North Texas Drought.

No comments: