Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Chesapeake Energy Neighbor's Collapsed Fence Is Blocking Foot Traffic

Sunday morning when I drove to Wal-Mart to go shopping with my mom I noticed that the chain link fence that surrounds my newest neighbor, that being the Chesapeake Energy drilling operation at Boca Raton Boulevard and Loop 820, had blown down.

It is now early Tuesday evening and that Chesapeake Energy chain link fence is still down, still blocking the sidewalk that leads to the Super Bowl Buffet and Albertsons, among other things, on the right.

I could sort of understand why this fence remained down on Labor Day, that being a day with no laboring from certain sectors of the laboring public. But today there was plenty of laboring activity at this particular Chesapeake Energy Barnett Shale drilling operation, but none of that activity was directed to fixing this impediment to foot traffic.

Shouldn't Chesapeake get a fine of some sort for this type negligence? What if a pedestrian, forced on to the street by the blocked sidewalk, gets hit by a passing car? Who is liable for that injury? Chesapeake? Or the City of Fort Worth for not adequately monitoring industrial activity within its borders, that it had given approval to?

I see this collapsed chain link fence as a metaphor of something. Of what, I lack the imagination to conjure....

No comments: