Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Walking With The Snakes & Vultures Today At Village Creek Natural Area

I stopped at Village Creek Natural Historic Area today. Again. On my way to Pantego around noon.

Today the Village Creek focus seemed to be more on the natural than the historic.

I saw my first snake of the year, if my memory is serving me correctly. A little green snake sunning itself on the HOT pavement.

In years previous I have seen Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Water Moccasins and Rattlesnakes in the Village Creek Natural Area. But ever since a really bad flood a year or two ago the Village Creek Natural Wildlife has gone missing for the most part.

I would imagine a bad flood is hard on snakes.

I see way fewer armadilloes in the Village Creek Natural Area, too.

Today I saw the vulture you see in the picture, feasting on what appeared to be a wild hog or an armadillo.

Vultures make me nervous. Several circled above me acting like they were wondering if my head was a big egg to crack.

Til I was away from the vultures I waved my snake whacking stick overhead to discourage any vulture sneak attacks on my head zone.

Heading north on Bowen, from Pantego, I saw traffic was stopped by the railroad crossing indicating a train was soon to be passing. I waited about 5 minutes. No train. Long backup. I turned around and headed another route.

A few miles west I was back in Fort Worth, trying again to cross the tracks to find the railroad crossing blocked. Drivers were acting very frustrated. One by one we took our turn going around the malfunction.

I think I've read somewhere that Arlington is the biggest town in America that can be cut in two by a train. Or a train crossing malfunction.

It seems very wasteful to stop the flow of traffic in this manner. Particularly due to what appeared to be a major malfunction.

No comments: