Friday, July 1, 2011

Don Young's Prairie Notes #55 With The Tandy Hills Roadrunner

Every month Fort Worth's Watchdog, Don Young, sends out his Prairie Notes.

Since this is July 1, Prairie Notes #55 has arrived.

I webpaged Don Young's Prairie Notes a couple times, due to me thinking the notes were too good not to share. Then it occurred me that I was sort of plagiarizing Don Young's good material without permission, so I stopped that bad boy behavior.

I did not realize til I right now, when I Googled "Don Young's Prairie Notes," that my webpaging of the notes Googles #1, along with a lot of blog posts where apparently I've mentioned Don Young's Prairie Notes, like this current blogging.

The coolest thing in Don Young's latest Prairie Notes is the picture he took of the Tandy Hills Roadrunner. The TH Roadrunner left the Tandy Hills Natural Area, crossed View Street, then ran onto Don Young's yard and hopped up on a birdbath to get a drink of water.

Currently, the Texas drought has rendered water very scarce on the Tandy Hills. Near as I can tell nothing remains of the two rains of June.

I'll carry an extra bottle of water with me on the Tandy Hills today in case I come across the Tandy Hills Roadrunner and it needs a drink.

6 comments:

Big Ed said...

Don Young is a friend to the Tandy Hills Natural Area and to all the feathered inhabitants there.

Great Pic.

So roadrunners are a flightless bird- at least according to the cartoons I have watched- who knows the procedure for roadrunners vaulting onto bird baths?

Gail Galtex said...

Wow, a roadrunner on a bird bath. That's good! I've seen many roadrunners, but they are usually crossing a road, or running somewhere, lol.

Gail Galtex said...

Roadrunners can fly, but they prefer to run.

One of my Sibley books says they "are one of the only animals known to attack rattlesnakes. Pairs sometimes hunt rattlesnakes cooperatively -- one bird distracts the snake while the other sneaks up and pins its head. They then kill the snake by bashing its head against a rock."

That is so cool.

Don Young said...

Thanks Mr. D. Feel free to work your Goggle magic to draw attention to Prairie Notes and Tandy Hills.

Don Young said...

PS: It would be even better if you put a link to the current P Notes on the FOTHNA website. Thanks a bil!

Durango said...

DY, I will take care of that link shortcoming later today.