Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cut Off From The Temperature I Ponder All That Is Unnatural In My Favorite Natural Area

Most days I seem to find myself being fairly productive in various ways. Then there are other days, days that don't happen all that often, when I do not seem to be very productive.

This has been one of those very unproductive days. So far.

I had a long list of things I was going to do today. I've only done two things on the list.

And then this afternoon tragedy struck. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my number one interest is the temperature. I monitor the temperature more religiously than I monitor anything else.

Around 2 this afternoon my Flock browser informed me there was an update to the Forecastfox Weather Plug-in. I figured this must be some sort of necessary improvement, so I clicked to do the update.

About 5 seconds later the Forecastfox Weather Plug-in was generating a connection error message. I tried all sorts of things to fix it. Uninstall, re-install, delete the temporary Internet files.

Then I Googled "Forecastfox Weather connection error" to learn I was not the only person vexed by this problem.

Around 4 I needed to get some outdoor action. I had to check the temperature via a more primitive means than I have grown used to, to learn it was 100 degrees.

I decided to to go Village Creek Natural Historic Area. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more pleasant 100 degrees is in the late afternoon with long shady shadows and a good breeze blowing.

A few things have always perplexed me about the Village Creek Natural Area. It's the natural part. Like the picture above. That is a part of the natural area where the paved trail crosses under power lines, with a broad swatch cleared through the natural trees for the power lines. The broad swatch creates a sort of tree canyon effect. That really is not very natural.

And then there is all that pavement. Not very natural.

And the viewing platform that looks out over the dried up Village Creek Bayou. The deck is made from planks made out of recycled plastic bags.

Anyway, I miss looking at the lower right hand corner of my browser and seeing the temperature. I think I'm experiencing some sort of temperature information withdrawal.

2 comments:

CatsPaw said...

When you missed your usual mid-afternoon posting, I'm sure I'm not the only one that wondered if you had gotten that lethal injection. :)

Maybe it's time to fire your old weatherman. Have you checked out Weather Underground? There're more weather statistics (and other stuff) there than you can shake a stick at. www.wunderground.com Perhaps you should set up your own reporting station ... feed your addiction as it were. Go poke around there at least; you can pick various "stations" in the area and see temp differences in addition to the "official" temperature.

Durango said...

Thanks for the Weather Input CatsPaw. I keep glancing to where my temperature used to be, with it being gone making me real anxious. I shall check out the Weather Underground.