Monday, December 13, 2010

A Freezing Monday Morning In Texas With Sweet Chili Sauce

You are looking out at my icy 2nd Monday of the last year of 2010 view, this early morning of December 13.

It is 26 degrees out there. Brrrrr.

It is about twice as hot here up in the Seattle zone. Where heavy rain continues to fall with the rivers now in flood mode, closing a lot of roads, due to mudslides, with Amtrak no longer able to make it to Portland.

My distressing ailments of the last week seem to have abated for the most part. This pleases me.

Yesterday I went to Chinatown in Arlington for the first time in a couple months. I'd run out of chili sweet sauce, oyster sauce and some other good stuff. I went to Saigon Cho Market at Pioneer Parkway and Collins Street first. They did not have the sweet chili sauce I wanted. So, I went to where the former occupant of Saigon Cho moved to, to a former Albertsons near 360 on Pioneer Parkway.

I forget what the name was of the market that moved from Pioneer/Collins to Pioneer/360, but it is no more. Yesterday I saw it had turned into Hiep Thai Arlington. And it was its Grand Opening. So, I got a lot of unexpected good stuff.

I don't know why the Chinatown markets are not more popular with the Anglo population. I love how I go in one of these markets and I am the only white guy. It is like getting to visit Viet Nam, Thailand and China. Actually, mostly Viet Nam. One of the strange unplanned for consequences of one of America's ubiquitous wars. As in a large number of Vietnamese Boat People ended up in Arlington, creating a thriving community and adding one more nice patch to the beautiful American quilt.

I am going to brace myself against the cold and get in some aerobicizing today. I have been borderline sedentary the past couple days.

It is currently not windy, unlike yesterday. I am hoping the current no wind remains steady.

No comments: