Thursday, December 2, 2010

Passing Time With An Aztec Indian On The Tandy Hills With Pit Bulls

I had myself a slightly surreal visit to the Tandy Hills late this afternoon.

The air was very calm, very quiet.

I had a lot on my mind. Which is difficult for a mind like mine.

I was heading northwest on the trail that cuts at a diagonal til it joins the end of the main trail that leads north from View Street.

As I came to the junction with the trail that leads down to Tandy Falls, I startled a guy coming up from the falls.

This was a man in uniform. He asked me if I knew about the hills. I said I sort of did. He asked if he could ask me some questions. I noticed that his uniform said something like Perimeter Security and that he was carrying a notebook and an electronic device.

I asked if he was looking for something. He said he was not. That he was in the area on a job and saw a sign that referenced Natives in the preserve. And that he thought he might find some arrowheads.

I was a little confused by the Natives reference. I asked if he was Native American. He said his grandma was full Aztec, which is why he was so tall. He seemed about the same height as me. I'm not all that tall.

He asked me what sort of animals roamed the hills, due to he'd been spooked by noises and thought he'd seen a ferret scurrying about. I assured him he was in no animal danger on the Tandy Hills, except for possible encounters with nutty humans drinking Four Loko.

Soon thereafter, as we continued talking, a guy walked up with two pit bulls on a leash. This was unusual. And then a short time after that, an older guy, shirtless, came up the trail from the west, jogging, startling us.

I told the Aztec that this was an unusually high level of activity.

After a bit more Tandy Hills promoting I was on my way. The Aztec said he had to get going too.

About a half hour later, as I exited towards View Street, I saw the Aztec sitting on one of the benches that is at the end of the paved trail. Right then he got up and walked towards View Street. I then dawdled, due to I'd had enough conversation. I figured he would be leaving in the pickup that was parked behind me. Which was the only other parked vehicle.

A couple minutes later I saw the pickup still parked. I figured, even if I had to engage in more conversation, it was time to leave.

But. there was no one in the pickup and no Aztec in sight. Where did he go?

I was starting to think the entire encounter had some sort of omen quality not accessible to my limited imagination.

I wanted to see what it said on the Tandy Hills sign that sits near Don Young's house. So, I drove there.

The only reference to Natives is the mention made of the Native Grasses that cover the Tandy Hills.

It's been a weird day in Fort Worth.

2 comments:

cd0103 said...

Very weird! Was he high or just....

Durango said...

cdo103, I don't think any hallucinogenics were involved, but it sure was one strange encounter. Like something in a David Lynch movie that had me unsettled hours later when I was still thinking about it.