Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Am Still Freezing In Texas With No Rolling Blackout So Far Today

It was nice to wake up this morning to not find that another Rolling Blackout had rolled in.

It is still well below freezing on this dawn of the third day of the second month of 2011.

I read this morning that the Rolling Blackouts were caused by the freezing temperatures knocking out some key pieces of equipment at many of the Texas generating facilities.

I was hoping to drive up to Hurst today.

To see if this was possible I went on a test drive yesterday around 5.

I failed the test drive, so I won't be going up to Hurst today.

I had visually checked the road in my immediate vicinity and it seemed fairly clear of ice. I was not too long on the road when I discovered the clear road, in my immediate vicinity, was an anomaly. I was not long into driving north on Bridgewood Street, heading to Randol Mill, when the road became ice covered. Bridgewood, on its way to Randol Mill, goes down what amounts to being a steep hill in these parts.

I crawled down the steep hill at a speed my speedometer was not able to register. Eventually, before it got dark, I made it back here.

I am really really ready for the Texas Temperature Pendulum to swing back into the 70s or 80s. And stay there.

2 comments:

Restless in Ice land said...

If I can get to your abode safely, will Uncle Durango entertain the kiddos for a few hours? I'll even bring fresh Chinese food.

THREE DAYS straight. No school. THREE DAYS STRAIGHT. Trapped inside. THREE KIDS...active kids.

Whadayasay, uncle Durango?!?!?

Durango said...

Restless---I have never been responsible for 3 kids at the same time. Two I can handle, sort of. So, sure, drop off two-thirds of the kiddos and I'll entertain them for a few hours.