Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Great Fort Worth Freeze Of 2011 Has Me Shivering & Not Driving

I have had myself a successful venturing in to the Great Freezing Fort Worth Outdoors.

Currently 18 degrees, with the Wind Chill Factor causing it to feel like -12.

I do not recall ever shivering like I was shivering out there. The shivering was caused by taking off my gloves so I could  take pictures.

I was surprised to find people out driving on the thick coat of ice. Including the Fort Worth buses known at the "T".

Most of the vehicles, including the buses, were having serious sliding issues. Which the following photos will sort of show you.


You are looking east on Boca Raton Boulevard, at a car trying to slide up the hill. I doubt the Super Bowl Buffet is open, but, if it was, it would be up this hill, and on the right, where I would go for Chinese food today.

Right after I took this picture I looked across the street and saw Miss Puerto Rico. It was a very slippery crossing to the other side. Then when I got there I realized I'd dropped one of my gloves back where I'd come from.

At these temperatures you can not go long without gloves, so I had to do some more sliding, back across the street. The roads have a very thick coating of ice, but the sidewalks much less.


Miss Puerto Rico and I watched, in semi-horror, as the jack-knifed Dr Pepper delivery truck driver tried over and over again to straighten out his rig at the intersection of Boca Raton and Bridgewood Street. Cars and trucks were sliding down and up Bridgewood, barely missing Dr Pepper. Miss Puerto Rico was out watching when the Dr Pepper truck drove by, fast up the hill, and then went in to a skid as the driver tried to turn left, then going into jack-knife mode.


In the above scene I am right at the aforementioned intersection, after the Dr Pepper truck had de-jack-knifed. The pickup truck, aimed at that guy walking, was sliding down the hill with its wheels against the curb. If you look closely you can see the stop sign that a sliding vehicle took out.


Soon after all those cars cleared out in the previous picture of the downed stop sign, the #21 Fort Worth bus showed up, sliding down the hill, not able to come to a stop, then making the left turn on to Boca Raton, coming to a stop next to the Fort Worth bus that had been stopped ever since I'd been watching the jack-knifed Dr Pepper truck.

I am assuming those buses are still sitting out there, with the drivers realizing it is not safe to be on the roads right now.

I was not able to get a look at the freeway to see if it is moving traffic. I assume it must be. I am also assuming there are a lot of wrecks out there right now.

I've yet to hear anything about how well the Super Bowl temporary buildings are handling this wind, cold and ice.

1 comment:

some guy said...

Fort Worth streets should be fine if the street crews are as good as the Environmental Collection Center employees.

Kudos to the ECC.