Thursday, April 1, 2010

The KFC Double Down Is Real! No Fooling On April Fool's Day

When this came into my email box this morning my initial reaction was YUK. Two slabs of Kentucky Fried Chicken making a sandwich with cheese and bacon.

I thought KFC was going a healthier route, what with their Grilled KFC and other less greasy options.

The email from KFC had links to Twitter and Facebook that also promoted this KFC Double Down Real Deal.

Also a link to the KFC website's Double Down page, complete with a countdown to when you can buy your first Double Down on April 12.

So, with "no fooling" in the KFC email's subject line it dawned on me that this was an April Fool's Day joke.

But, now, I don't know. It's a pretty elaborate joke, if it is.

From the KFC website, "The rumored KFC Double Down sandwich is REAL and it's coming April 12th! This one-of-a-kind sandwich features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe® or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce. This product is so meaty, there’s no room for a bun!"

The Double Down comes in two versions – Original Recipe® or Grilled and the nutrition information is below.

Sandwich Calories Fat (g) Sodium (mg)
KFC Original Recipe® Double Down 540 32 1380
KFC Grilled Double Down 460 23 1430

How can all that fried goodness be only 540 calories?

So? April Fool's Day Joke? I don't know.

I listened to Rush Limbaugh for a short while today, while driving, and caught the tail end of him saying, I think, that he does not do April Fool's Day Jokes anymore due to the disheartening number of people who don't realize that it is the 1st of April and that they are being pranked.

I don't often empathize with Mr. Limbaugh, but on this serious April Fool's Day Joke issue, he and I are in total agreeance.

I hope everyone is having a Happy April Fool's Day. My favorite holiday of the year...

4 comments:

Rain Barrel Collector said...

Can I sing this to an end yet?

Durango said...

Yes, Fat Lady, sing.

twister said...

This thing is a man-boob maker! =P

Durango said...

When first I saw it and thought it to be an April Fools joke, I didn't consider eating one. Now that I find out it's a real deal, I'm thinking, it looks sorta tasty. Even if it is a bit of a man-boob maker.