Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An Easter Egg Does Not Get Found In Texas Hunt But Is Found By Me

There are few things sadder than an orphaned, un-found Easter Egg. Right at this particular point in time I actually can not think of anything sadder. This must indicate I am in a good mood.

I've had me a day. It started off nice with a long swim in a now reliably pleasantly temperatured pool.

Around noon I found myself in Hurst, lightning striking, thunder booming and me outside getting hit by pea-sized hail.

By the time I got back here, around 2, I found myself with a lot of computer monitor face time facing me. Around 5, I could take being sedentary no longer and took off to walk around Fosdic Lake at Oakland Lake Park.

It was there, by the home run fence of the Oakland Lake Park baseball field, that I came across 2 un-found Easter Eggs.

When I was a kid I enjoyed Easter Egg Hunts. We lived across the street from the city park of this town in Washington called Burlington, which is where the annual Easter Egg Hunt took place. It was a big deal. A lot of eggs, a lot of kids, sectioned off by age groups.

Our house had a big picture window facing the park. After all these years I am thinking the statute of limitations has exhausted and I can now reveal that our parental units would arm me and my siblings with binoculars. To watch the placing of the eggs. To see where the GOLD eggs were.

The GOLD eggs were worth money. I think something like 5 bucks. Which is the equivalent of something like 500 bucks in 2010 dollars. We could just about pay for a trip to Disneyland if us kids found 2 GOLD eggs. Hence being staked out by our parental units with spyglasses.

After a few years of me and my siblings always finding the GOLD eggs, measures were taken to put an end to this. I don't remember what those measures were. I do remember 2 really, really fun family trips to Disneyland.

Oakland Lake Park had totally greened up since I last laid my eyes on it. Leaves sprouted out. Grass totally green.

Some people who have never been to Texas think it is all desert and brown. I remember before I made the move, going to see the X-Files movie in a Seattle theater, with a Seattle friend, I'll call Wanda.

The X-Files movie opens in Dallas, in an outlying residential area. You see the Dallas skyline. But the residential area is all wrong. It's brown, totally flat, not remotely looking like this area.

I lean over to Wanda and whisper it's not really like that, it's hilly with a lot of trees. Sure, Wanda said, not believing me. Four months after I made the move to Texas, Wanda made her one and only visit. I do not recollect if I pointed out the X-Files discrepancy at that point in time, or if I just left it to Wanda's powers of observation.

2 comments:

twister said...

I remember that scene you're talking about. It must've been filmed in southern California or maybe Arizona. I've been to southern California and you know, if it isn't watered in southern California, it's dirt.

Steve A said...

So does this mean we'll have to wait a bit longer for "Durango Las Vegas?"