Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hiking The Tandy Hills In Freezing Fort Worth With Asparagus

I did not overheat today hiking the Tandy Hills. Today was the first day this year, I think, that I wore a coat. And two hats.

I must go on a search mission for my long underwear. I remember there came a time last winter when that garment became necessary. I think the need will be greater this winter, what with Global Cooling seeming to be accelerating.

The prairie was still a bit damp in places, but not impassable. I came upon a few frozen spots and had to carefully navigate them lest I have a repeat of my last Tandy Hills fall that bent my right thumb where it should never have gone.

The snow and freezing of the past several days has knocked a lot of color out of the North Texas Prairie. When color returns it should be the most spectacular wildflowers since I arrived in Texas, due to the good dose of fall rain.

You can see in today's Tandy Hills Prairie photo how much color has left the prairie. It has now mostly turned back to my signature color. Brown.

After I'd achieved the medicinal effects of a naturally induced endorphin injection I went to Town Talk. I got some more asparagus, jicama and mushrooms. Lots of interesting people in Town Talk today.

Tomorrow I'm making Asparagus Soup. You're welcome to come have a bowl for lunch if you like.

1 comment:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Made my soup today, split pea and ham, fed it to the kids in the dark so they wouldn't know.