Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gas Drillers Expand Trinity River Water Stealing Operation By Gateway Park In Fort Worth

On Thursday while driving north on Beach Street, as I crossed the Trinity River I noticed a truck and a backhoe at the location where I'd previously told you about a gas driller using a diesel pump to pipeline water out of the Trinity River, leaving a big, rutted, muddy mess in its wake.

When I saw the backhoe I figured the gas driller must be repairing the damage and restoring the levee. I'd seen a similar repair done in Village Creek Natural Historic Area in Arlington, so I assumed that was what was being done on Thursday.

Well. I was wrong.

If anything the damaged levee has experienced added damage. Apparently what the backhoe was doing was making a better "road" to the expanded "pump pad" it'd built by the river's bank.

My limited photographer skills don't quite capture what my eye saw, but in the first picture we are looking at the expanded "pump pad." It appears a lot of earth was moved to make a better place for the diesel pump to sit at the river's edge.

Oh, I forgot to mention, from what I saw today it seemed pretty obvious the water pump is going to return and the backhoe was preparing for that eventuality.

The second picture is looking down the improved "road" at the improved "pump pad."

And another thing, the area reeked of diesel, so much so that my first inclination was to think that all that earthmoving had been done to cover up a diesel spill.

I've asked before, but have received no answer, but how does one go about getting the right to do this type of thing on what I assume is public land?

Does the gas driller have to get a permit? Would that permit not be a public record? Should there not be total transparency on something like this? As in, a Fort Worth citizen be able to call the city and ask who is sucking water from the Trinity River? Shouldn't the permit be posted?

See that NO MOTOR VEHICLES sign? That is located right next to the Trinity Trail before the trail crosses a pedestrian bridge into Gateway Park. As you can see, the area I've shown you before on top of the Trinity levee is now in much worse shape.

Now, if I drove my motor vehicle to this location, parked it, and proceeded to pump some water out of the Trinity River, what would my fate be if spotted by the Fort Worth Gestapo?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I venture to guess that you would not likely get to blog post number 2,000 (congrats,btw!). Now, I didn't say anything specific about what would/could have occurred, BUT based on their history, the dirty deed being exposed here, and your propensity to exercise your many rights as an American citizen...I will let the readers' recollection and imagination flow like the Trinity River.

Durango said...

Anonymous---I am safely behind a security system, for the most part. So far attempts to shut me up have been unsuccessful. Knock on wood.