Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dozens Of Cars Stolen From Dallas Cowboy Stadium Wal-Mart In The Middle Of The Night

You are looking at a blocked off entrance to the Wal-Mart Supercenter across from the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium on Randol Mill Road in Arlington, Texas during a Dallas Cowboy game on November 22, 2009.

All entries to the Wal-Mart were blocked, thus closing Wal-Mart.

There were cars parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The parking lot was maybe a third full.

Unlike most of the other possible parking lots in the area around the Dallas Cowboy Stadium, Wal-Mart puts up no "Event Parking $60" sign. One would think they would, if they are going to close the store, with their lot being so conveniently located.

So, what I am curious about is how did it come to be that Wal-Mart is shut down during Dallas Cowboy games? How is Wal-Mart compensated for this? In an area where Jerry Jones is charging up to $60 for parking one would think Wal-Mart's compensation must be hefty.

I was also at the Dallas Cowboy Stadium the day before, to take pictures of the Dallas Cowboy Outhouses. On that day, November 21, high school football playoff games were taking place in the stadium. On that day the Wal-Mart Supercenter was open.

So, I parked on the Stadium Wal-Mart's parking lot. I saw a few signs that said something like "No Event Parking. Violators May Be Towed." I now know these were not warning signs that meet the criteria for such signs as defined by Texas law.

When I was parked at that parking lot it was maybe 1/2 to 2/3's full. The store was extremely busy. I saw people walking from the parking lot across the street to the stadium.

There were no security type people that I detected watching the Wal-Mart lot.

The last of the football games finished a bit past midnight. I have asked my source to confirm the numbers, but have yet to get that confirmation. But, I believe around 50 people exited the stadium and walked to the Wal-Mart parking lot to find their vehicles missing.

A line of taxi cabs was waiting for the people with the missing cars, offering to take them the short distance to where their vehicles had been impounded. I believe the fee was in the $10 zone.

When the people arrived at the impoundment place they were told it would take 20 minutes to process each vehicle. And cost something like $240 to get back in their vehicle.

My source, a Grandma who was with her 5 year old grandson and the grandson's pregnant mother, was able to persuade the impounder to process her quickly. She made it home sometime after 2 in the morning.

According to Texas State Law a vehicle can not be impounded unless specific verbiage, on easily seen signs, is installed on the parking lot. An impounder taking a vehicle from a lot without the proper signage is considered to have committed auto theft. The victim can recover any losses and have any damage to their vehicle paid for by the improper impounder.

What we are trying to find out is who really owns the auto impounder, Straw K, Inc. doing business as A-AARLINGTON ABANDONED VEHICLE. The property manager, that is Wal-Mart, had to have entered into an agreement with the towing company. Was this done on the local level? Or from Arkansas?

What is the arrangement with the taxi cab company? Who calls them and tells them there will be some distressed people looking for their vehicles?

If there were 50 towed vehicles that Saturday night, at $240 each, that's $12,000. Who gets that money? The towing company? Wal-Mart? The local Wal-Mart manager? Jerry Jones? Who?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This operation must be a piece of cake for Jerry and his city buddies when compared to the stealing and removing of the homes of hundreds of people, which ironically makes this current scheme possible. Bloodsuckers will suck blood any where and in any amount they can find. It's open season on the little people.

Durango said...

Anonymous---Add in the apartments and the number of people affected by being forced to move was in the thousands.

GO HERE

Gar said...

Not that it makes you feel any better, but if you just put forth a little effort, you can get the $240 back fairly easily.

My car was towed in Addison a couple of years ago from a Bennigan's parking lot. There was a sign right in front of my car that said, "Bennigan's parking only", but the parking lot was full so I parked there anyway.

Sure enough when I cam out of "The Flying Saucer" my car was gone. I went into Bennigan's and ordered a beer. As soon as I ordered it, I asked the bartender to close my tab (thus keeping the time on the receipt recent).

I called a cab and went and picked up my car. The next day I filed a suit against the tow company.

In front of the judge, I simply handed her my receipt showing that I was indeed a Bennigan's customer at about the time my car was taken.

The tow company reimbursed me my money. I probably should have went for more because of pain and suffering but I didn't.

If more people would take the extra couple of hours to take these places to court, it would probably cut down on the practice.

All they had to do was go in Wal-Mart and buy a Coke before getting in the Taxi.

Durango said...

Gar----You don't need a Wal-Mart receipt to get your money back, plus damages. Wal-Mart did not post proper signage. The cars were towed in violation of Texas law. The Mad Texas Grandma has already filed the thing to get her money back. Now she's aiming for criminal charges.

The Whited Sepulchre said...

All,
One day this week, I drove past the old Cowboys stadium in Irving. Guess how much retail development had grown up around it in thirty years?
None.
Ditto for Reunion Arena in Dallas.

Since most of you folks have websites, can you help me take pics of the business currently surrounding the new Boss Hawg Bowl? I'm betting most of them will be shut down in ten years, and I think it would be a good idea to have some documentation of what was once there.

Gracias,

Allen

Anonymous said...

Go Grandma,go! With Durango the Texan riding shotgun, of course!!

Hottie said...

You speak of people being forced from their home, They were well compensated for it. 2.5 million for a home worth only 50K. One house only 700 sq ft and you are getting triple what the ragedy house is worth and are ready to purchase a brand new home and live on with your life.....

Gar said...

People like you, Hottie, are an irritant. You obviously think money can buy anything.

Eventually, you'll discover something that you don't want to give up no matter how much money is offered. Then, you'll finally be happy. Until someone steps in and forces you to accept their price.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should have looked closer.

That Walmart doesn't close during games. The North entrance of the parking lot is open.

How do I know? I f*$%ing work there.

Term Papers said...

Your blog is nice and informative. Thanks for it


College Term Papers