Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fort Worth Town Talk Part 2

Yesterday I blogged about going to Fort Worth's Town Talk surplus store. I didn't quite know what to make of it.

Then this morning Don Young commented on that blogging, telling me he got raspberries and blackberries at Town Talk. I'd seen absolutely no produce. I figured this was a function of my chronic problem with being un-observant.

So, after burning some calories hiking to the summit of Mount Tandy I had to be on Beach Street again. I decided to check out Town Talk again and see if I could find the mysterious produce section.

I'd walked right by it on yesterday's visit. It's a walk-in cooler. A very, very cold walk-in cooler. There were a lot of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries in there. And papayas, oranges, Roma tomatoes and likely several other things I'm not remembering. I never can bring myself to buy raspberries or blackberries. They are free in Washington, particularly blackberries. And they are really good. 99 cents for a little container of blackberries just seems bizarre to me. Strawberries I have bought here, if they look and smell good. I had to buy strawberries up in Washington, too, though I did try to grow my own. That did not work out so well.

However, those Town Talk Roma tomatoes were big and a very deep red. And only $.59 a pound. Or was it $.69? So, I got myself some Romas. And a Hormel sun-dried tomato pork loin for only $3.99. I did not need any cheese, but stored in the same cold place as the Romas, only on shelves accessed from the outside, which I did see yesterday, there were a lot of real good cheese bargains. High quality type cheese, as in hard cheeses and crumbled Gorgonzola. And Parmesan

So, I shall return. It's cheap, you can find some good goods. And it is close to where I live, with me driving by it all the time. So, it's convenient. And very interesting people shop there.

No comments: