Monday, July 6, 2009

Twittering Conundrums Over Miley Cyrus Being Pregnant

My kind therapist, Dr. L.C., shares my Twitter conundrumming and empathizes with my confusion. All day long, today, I got more followers following my totally uninteresting Twittering. Real Housewife of New York City, Bethenny Frankel, is now one of my Twitter Followers. Why? I have no idea.

I got a Twitter Follower from Iran today, too. I have no idea if she really is from Iran.

There does not seem to be much information about whoever the Twitterer is. I think I could say I was from the Moon and that would be fine. Or I could say I'm from Iran, and just got back from a riot where crazed government goons were smashing heads.

Speaking of making up stuff on the Internet. This morning, when I checked Google Trends, the #1 thing being searched for was "Miley Cyrus Pregnant". Along with some searching things like "Jonas Brother Father". Clicking on these brought me to websites with quite detailed stories about Miley Cyrus being 3 months pregnant, knocked up by one of those purity pledger Jonas Brothers. One of the websites had the Jonas Brother breaking up with Miley due to getting some other girl, I've never heard of, in the Family Way.

Turns out it was all bogus, near as I can tell. There is like a sub-industry on the Internet of people putting out fake news, like fake celebrity deaths, like this week Brit singer Rick Astley was widely reported as dead, this then got picked up by some legit media, before the rumor gets killed.

If I could figure out an angle that made it make sense I could see having fun having a fake news site or blog. This really could be a forte of mine that is currently being untapped. I must give it some serious thought.

No comments: