Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Hot Tandy Hills & Helping An Old Texas Lady Cross The Street

That is the noon view today, high atop Double Bump Ridge, looking slightly southeast, on the 4th day in a row of hiking the Tandy Hills Natural Area in near 100 degree heat. The stunning skyline of beautiful downtown Fort Worth is to our right, where I live is to our left. My old home in Washington is behind me and to my right a couple thousand miles. It is 66 right at this moment in my old hometown of Mount Vernon.

In 7 days it will be a year since I was an overheated mess getting through Love Field, in Dallas, to fly to Seattle, where I was greeted by frigid cold that iced me for a month. I never quit shivering til I got back to this more reasonable climate.

Speaking of which, we've barely hit 100 so far today, a day when some predictions were for 105. I read 104 on WeatherBug, heard 105 on the radio.

Years ago, as in a lot of years ago, I was in Las Vegas for the first time, driving my long dead 65 Fastback Mustang, which had no A/C. It was September and over 100. I remember seeing a group of guys doing some roadwork and wondering how they could do such a thing.

I found out today that this Texas woman, who has been communicating with me for quite some time, whom I assumed was a wrinkled up little old lady with really big hair, who I helped due to that good Boy Scout help an old lady cross the street problem of mine, is actually a pretty, young thing. As in young and pretty, not old and wrinkled.

I don't recall the last time I've suffered such a shocking surprise. I don't know what to make of this information. The help the old lady cross the street thing is now done, with this particular old lady. Will I still be able to motivate myself to help, now that I know this Texas woman is a young thing who looks like a movie star? With really big hair.

It's perplexing.

Speaking of young pretty Texas things. Those delicate purple wildflowers I've mentioned before, are still busy blooming. How are they doing this in day after day of over 100 and no water? While plants around them are wilting, these tough purple flowers show no sign of fading.

This also is perplexing.

No comments: