Saturday, July 13, 2024

Pondering Giant Alligators Arriving In Wichita Falls This HOT Summer


Saw that which you see here, yesterday, via the Wichita Falls Times Record News Facebook page. A report of a large alligator showing up in Coppell, Texas.

Coppell is one of the many towns which make up the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. The town is northwest of Dallas, near Lake Grapevine.

I have had me a reptile encounter a few times at Lake Grapevine, Copperhead and Cottonmouth snakes, and Snapping Turtles. But never an alligator.

I did know alligators show up every once in a while. I remember a few years back, a big alligator got run over and killed on Trinity Boulevard, slightly north of the Trinity River. This was not far from my abode in East Fort Worth.

If you visit the Fort Worth Nature Preserve, in far northwest Fort Worth, you may find yourself startled, whilst in the bayou area, seeing Alligator Warning signs.

I do not think alligators ever make it as far as my current location. However, on the section of the Wee-Chi-Tah Trail on the opposite side of the Wichita River from Lucy Park, one comes to a section of the Wee-Chi-Tah Trail mountain bike trail named Alligator Alley, which includes an alligator replica which can be startling to see whilst one is pedaling fast.

I have seen mini-alligators many times in Lucy Park. Cute little lizards which move too fast, making it impossible to take a picture of one.

I wonder if the unusually long bout of unusually high temperatures is causing alligators to venture to areas they usually do not venture, including as far north and inland as my current Wichita Falls location...

No comments: