Saturday, December 10, 2016

Cold Caribbean Wichita Falls Walk Not Available In Fort Worth

This second Saturday morning of December the weather outside is frightful, but even so I decided to layer on the winter outerwear, including ski gloves, and venture out into the icy wind hoping to have an endorphin inducing bout of aerobic fast walking.

Whilst walking north, with the wind coming up from behind, the frigid breeze did not vex me too much.

Then I got to the Circle Trail and headed back south, directly into the icy wind. This caused me to go into borderline jog mode to get as quickly as I could to a warm, wind free place.

The first part of my walk route today was on one of the paved alleys which meander all over my Caribbean themed neighborhood. The paved alleys make for pleasant vehicle free walking.

Wichita Falls has many modern amenities which were sadly lacking in the previous Texas town I lived in.

Fort Worth.

A day or two ago it occurred to me that Fort Worth's chronically absurd misrepresenting of itself goes all the way back to the town's naming.

There never was a fort in Fort Worth. It was a camp.

Camp Worth.

Camp Worth might actually be a more apropos name for Fort Worth, what with the town having the modern world's highest per capita number of outhouses, including most city parks not featuring modern facilities, or running water.

But, plenty of outhouses, some installed in very odd locations.

Another modern amenity I enjoy in Wichita Falls which is sadly, dangerously, frequently lacking in Fort Worth, is sidewalks. You know, those narrow paved trails which run along the side of roads so as to facilitate the safe transit of pedestrians.

Below you are looking at the point where the paved alley I walked today meets Haiti Drive.


As you can see, both sides of Haiti Drive have sidewalks. At this particular juncture I take a right and walk the sidewalk til I reach Weeks Park Lane, then walk that road's sidewalk to the south, past a couple houses, where I take a left and walk across the street to the Circle Trail which takes me back to my warm abode.

During my incarceration in Fort Worth I never did figure out why the town was so backwards. Did most of Fort Worth's citizens never venture to another American town, not even Fort Worth suburbs like Haltom City, North Richland Hills, Watauga, Dallas or others, to see that modern American towns have streets with sidewalks and parks with modern restrooms, with running water available?

The Fort Worth conundrum is very perplexing.

But, in the town's defense, I must say it is the impressive host to America's Biggest Boondoggle, currently stuck unable to figure out how to build three simple little bridges over dry land to connect the Fort Worth mainland to an imaginary island....

No comments: