Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Having Myself A Closeup Visit With The Fosdick Lake Swan

On Monday I walked around Fosdick Lake in Oakland Lake Park in East Fort Worth and mentioned seeing a big white swan for the first time at this particular location.

Today, due to weather related restrictions as to the viability of my regular go to locations for my daily endorphin inducing aerobic stimulation I opted to return to Oakland Lake Park to walk around Fosdick  Lake.

One is never too far from ones means of motorized transport, when one is at Oakland Lake Park, in case a sudden downpour necessitates a quick run for cover. No sudden downpour necessitated a quick run for cover today.

I did experience a slight downpour whilst heading to the pool this morning. That downpour only necessitated jumping in the pool for cover.

Changing the subject back to the big white swan.

On Monday the big white swan was floating solo on Fosdick Lake. The big white swan was not part of any like feathered flock.

Today the big white swan had moved to shore and had acquired a following flock of ducks.

Usually the ducks of Fosdick Lake are very skittish. I get near, they flock to the lake.

Today when I walked up to the big white swan, and his duck flock, the swan was peacefully resting, as you can see in the photo.

I think I may have awakened the big white swan from a peaceful slumber, which resulted in the photo you see at the top.

It seems as if the ducks feel protected by the big white swan, losing their usual fear impulse which usually causes them to flock to the water to get away from the potentially dangerous human.

The big white swan seemed to have zero fear of me being a potentially dangerous human. I think I could have reached out and petted the big white swan, if I had been able to overcome my fear of getting snapped at by a biting bird.

Years ago I was attacked by a mad, aggressive goose in a raspberry field. One would think getting bit by a goose would be no big deal.

But it is.

It left me permanently scarred. Not physically, but psychologically, instilling a lifelong fear of angry biting birds. And plus-sized women with overbites.

1 comment:

CatsPaw said...

Dude, if you've been attacked by a goose, you really don't want to experience a swan attack.