Monday, April 20, 2009

Something Not Natural About The Tandy Hills Natural Area

The picture does not do justice to how colorful this part of the Tandy Hills Prairie was looking today. The Tandy Hills has only 6 days to get fully bloomed in time for Saturday's 2009 Prairie Fest.

I hope I remember to go to Prairie Fest, unlike what happened last Saturday when I totally forgot I was going to go the Main Street Arts Festival.

I saw a couple unnatural things today whilst hiking around the Tandy Hills Natural Area. The most disturbing unnatural thing was up by the tallest tower, right by the Tandy Hills Litter Shrine. Flags had been stuck in the ground and orange stripes sprayed marking an electric power line route. It would appear this means there will be some digging soon. I doubt the Shrine will survive.

The other unnatural thing I saw today was also flag related. All over the park I saw red flags stuck in the ground, with all but one saying "Long Route." I've no idea what this means. The red flag that did not say "Long Route" said something Latin and "Buttermilk Primrose." The Latin term for the yellow flower made me think that Don Young was behind that flag. He seems to know the Latin name for everything.

The weather today is about as perfect as it gets in Texas. 80 with low humidity. The pool was perfect this morning. I suspect it will be even more perfect tomorrow morning.

People are coming to this blog from all over the world, again, looking for help with Only Child Syndrome. Why does this and the search for the World's Biggest Butt go in streaks? Maybe I'll muster the energy to blog about Only Child Syndrome again. If I can help just one victim deal with the syndrome, I'll have done a good thing today.

1 comment:

Don Young said...

The red flags were put there by the master naturalists in preparation for the wildflower tours this Saturday. The other flags and orange stripes sound like trouble. Keep us posted.