Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Relatively Chilly Nature Communing Shrinking Sikes Lake
For the first time in what seems like weeks, the outer world temperature chilled to a level comfortable enough for outdoor endorphin acquisition, instead of the stifling air-conditioned comfort of Walmart, WinCo, Target or Lowe's.
So, with the temperature barely in the 80s, under a totally cloudy sun-free sky, it was to Sikes Lake I ventured for the first time in what seems like a long time, for some extremely pleasant communing with nature.
From the above photo documentation from the rocky east shore of Sikes Lake, looking west, one might think the ongoing drought has had no dire effect on this particular North Texas lake. One would be wrong to think that.
Above is what Sikes Lake looks like a short distance north of that view from the rocky east shore. I don't know why the duck flock hangs out at this part of the lake, instead of the part which currently does not look as if it is drying up.
Above and below, we are at the far north end of Sikes Lake, looking south. As you can see, mostly dried up.
With this section dried up for a long enough time for green vegetation to sprout.
Above I am heading back to my vehicular transport, standing on the middle of the bridge which takes one from one side of Sikes Lake to the other.
Possible precipitation was in the forecast today, along with the temperature only going to 99 degrees, as measured by the Fahrenheit method. I did not expect to see any rain, as of late rain predictions have not been close to being accurate.
But, I was barely back in my vehicle, windows rolled down, when big drops of wet started hitting the windshield, soon falling copiously enough that I rolled up the windows, and took the above photo.
The temperature is currently forecast to be back well over 100 for this weekend's Hotter 'N Hell 100 bike event.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment