Monday, August 10, 2026

Finding The Final Time All My Siblings Were With Mom & Dad


Tomorrow, August 11, it will be a quarter century since the above photo was taken. I believe that date, August 11, 2001, was the last time me and my siblings were together at the same location at the same time.

And, for certain, this was the last time me and my siblings were at the same location with my mom and dad and grandma Vera.

The occasion was mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary party.

I had not indicated I was going to attend this party. I drove solo from Texas to Washington. Only a couple of non-relatives, in Seattle, knew I was heading their way.

Mom and dad's wedding date was actually August 6, 1951. Their anniversary party was held on August 11 because that day happened to be a Saturday, and thus a more convenient day than the Monday August 6 fell on that year.

The above photo has been vexing me for several days. Because I could not find it. I wanted to use it for a blog post on this year's August 6 anniversary date. I knew I had several photos, as in dozens, taken that day.

Last night I finally photo the photos.

I'd forgotten I'd webpaged them. So, they were in the files of my Eyes on Texas website, which I terminated several years ago.

That solo drive back to Washington was the last time I have driven from Texas to Washington, and back, solo or not solo.

I stayed in Washington a couple weeks, arriving back in Texas not all that long before the infamous events of September 11 happened.

A month later, mom and dad arrived in Texas, their first of two times coming to Texas to visit their eldest son.

It is a bit hard to believe this was a quarter century ago....

No comments: