Thursday, April 2, 2009

Seeing the Signs in the Tandy Hills

No. I am not talking about the signs of spring. Though those were sadly lacking today while hiking the Tandy Hills. Well, there was an extremely brisk wind that had blown the air clean. But there were no other fresh signs of spring.

As in no new wildflowers. I fear the earlier reports are accurate and due to the drought of last fall, which continued through winter and now into spring, the wildflowers this year in Texas are going to be a bit less colorful than the norm.

The signs I'm talking about seeing in the Tandy Hills Natural Area are the extremely unnatural signs you see in the photo. That particular one blocks a view of beautiful downtown Fort Worth. Next to the sign a cable stretches across the trail, adding a possible tripwire to the Tandy Hills hiker who isn't paying close attention. Such as me.

I don't know why these signs have been added. I have never seen a motorized vehicles wheeling over the Tandy Hills. It'd take a jeep or an ORV with big wheels. It is pretty rough terrain. I have also never seen a horse on these hills. I have seen a kid on a mountain bike. I remember asking him why? Due to the Tandy Trails not really being conducive to mountain biking. He told me he didn't realize the trails were so rough.

I hope this wind isn't blowing in anything wet or loud. Or cold. I like having my windows open.

1 comment:

Suzette Watkins said...

What's wrong with biking or horse riding in the Prairie? I don't get it. A few bike & horse trails never hurt anything.