Thursday, April 9, 2009

Naturally Fun at Village Creek Natural Historic Area

Against doctor's orders and ahead of predicted afternoon Thunderstorms, that have yet to materialize, I went to Village Creek Natural Historic Area around noon. I saw only one wildflower in the park today. You can see that fragile beauty below.

A sign had been stuck in the ground since my last visit to this park. The sign told me to get my Passport Arlington today, along with a cryptic message, "Trail verification code A."

What did that mean I could not help but wonder. At the bottom of the sign I was told if I wanted more information on the Passport Arlington program I could visit www.naturallyfun.org.

I did as directed, like I always do, and went to the Naturally Fun website to find some of that information that the sign mentioned. However, the naturallyfun.org domain redirected to the City of Arlington Parks & Recreation website.

I looked and looked but I could not find how to get my Passport Arlington. So, I gave up. I'm easily discouraged.

But on the website I did see something interesting. A YouTube video of a proposed park using the long mothballed Caleum Moor Stonehenge-like sculptures. I've no idea where this proposed park is located or if the Caleum Moor sculptures are proposed to be placed in an existing park, like River Legacy.

The Caleum Moor installation disappeared prior to my exile in Texas. I remember they were in a book of things to see in the Dallas/Fort Worth zone, but when I went to find them they were no more. I later learned that the land upon which Caleum Moor sat was turned into office space. And the sculptures went into hiding due to some Buckle of the Bible Belt Thumpers being convinced that Caleum Moor was some sort of pagan blasphemy endangering the purity of the locals.

Apparently, now, wiser heads are prevailing. Below is the Caleum Moor YouTube video of the proposed new installation of the sculptures.

No comments: