Monday, February 16, 2009

Vitamixing Peanut Butter

A long long time ago in a land far away, that being Washington and the town of Seattle, I went to the annual Home Show that took place in the now deceased Kingdome.

At the Home Show I watched a demonstration of a Vita-Mix. The demonstrator made it seem so easy to make tasty soup, ice cream, all sorts of things.

So, I bought a Vita-Mix. It's been so long since I bought it that my Vita-Mix is now an antique. I saw the new version at last year's Texas State Fair in Dallas. The modern Vita-Mix is quiet and looks very high-tech. Mine looks low-tech and is so noisy it probably does ear drum damage.

When I got my Vita-Mix home I tried to make soup. The demonstrator made it look so easy, just throw in a bunch of vegetables and turn it on. I did so, but it did not make soup. Instead it was a thick green slurry that was inedible.

Eventually I figured out how to make bread, grinding wheat berries to make flour, then making the dough that ended up being very very dense bread that many also said was inedible.

As time went by I did find some uses for the Vita-Mix, but it's been a long time since I've made anything with it. Til this morning.

What with peanut butter turning deadly and with me having an over supply of very good Virginia peanuts that I got at Sprouts Farmers Market and with my jar of Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter empty, I decided to use the Vita-Mix to make peanut butter.

I recollect having made peanut butter before in the Vita-Mix, I think. This morning it took a long time of running that noisy thing, my ears are still ringing, but eventually the peanuts turned into butter. A real course, crunchy butter. That tastes real good.

So, that's been my day so far. Being a very productive peanut butter maker.

No comments: