Thursday, February 26, 2009

Army Invasion Of River Legacy Park & The New Dallas Cowboy Stadium

Okay, I have overdone it today. I swam for a half hour, early this morning. I hiked for an hour at the Tandy Hills at 11am. Then I had to be in Arlington at 4. Since River Legacy Park is in Arlington, why not bike the mountain bike trail on the way to my 4 o'clock destination, I foolishly thought.

I think the motivation to be outside excessively today is due to it being the first HOT day of the year. As in 87. I now have a slight sunburn.

I biked for well over an hour. On my second time around I came upon the sort of scene I don't expect to see when I'm riding my bike. As in army troops crouching about. As you can see they were well camouflaged. Upon realizing I'd entered some sort of firefight, my instinct was to quickly shout "Don't shoot. I'm a friendly."

Then I stopped and asked if I could take a picture. After a brief interrogation I was given permission. I took my pictures and asked no more questions.

As I biked on I came to another group. I told them they were being sitting ducks, sitting on the trail, not hiding like the other group. The commander of that group told me her group was going to capture the other group. I offered to give up their position. She said there was no need, they'd already acquired their position.

After that I saw a lot more soldiers as I biked on. It was odd seeing all those soldiers all decked out in combat gear. I am currently reading The Complete Idiots Guide to World War I. Just this morning I'd read a chapter about how ridiculous some of the combatant nation's uniforms were, particularly the French. Bright blue coats, bright red pants and instead of a helmet a brightly colored cap. When the French figured out that those bright red pants helped the Germans by presenting a bright target, the French finally lost the red pants. Well into the war, though. Which they did not lose.

After I was done engaging American Troops it was on to my other Arlington destination, which happened to be very close to the new Dallas Cowboy Stadium. The property is at the landscaping stage now. In a couple months the giant stadium will open with a George Strait/Reba McEntire concert. I'm sure Jerry Jones will make sure that all the people who lost their homes so he could have a new stadium will get free tickets to the first event to take place on the land they used to call home.

The view you see of the stadium, in the picture, is looking east on Randoll Mill Road at the intersection with Collins Street.

No comments: