Thursday, January 29, 2009

Seven Summits On 7 Continents & Mount Baker

You never know when a day begins if you're going to learn anything new that day. Or not. More often than not it's not. Today was a learn something new day.

Earlier today I blogged that my ol' high school classmate, Karen, finally remembered who I was. What a relief.

I'd mentioned something about making websites and Karen then mentioned that her daughter, Danielle, had a website. And gave me the URL.

So, I went to Danielle's website and was pleasantly surprised to learn that she is a news making record breaker. At 20 years old, on June 2 of 2005, when she reached the summit of Mount Everest, Karen's daughter became the youngest person to have climbed the tallest mountain on each continent.

Antarctica is a continent. I'm assuming a mountain must have been climbed there too.

Looking around Danielle's website I learned she was inspired to climb by growing up looking at all those mountains that surround those of us blessed (no longer me) to live in the northwest. Particularly looking up at Mount Baker, which was the first mountain she conquered. With her dad, if I understood correctly.

I've said before I've climbed Mount Baker. But, when I say that, I more mean I've climbed on Mount Baker. But I've never climbed to the top of Mount Baker. That would be scary. I'm an acrophobe. I think the last time I "climbed" Mount Baker was with nephew Joey. Here's a webpage with pictures of that "climb" and Mount Baker.

No comments: