Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mom & Dad Made It Out Of Texas

This morning, when I looked at my cell phone, I saw I had a couple voice mails. One was from my Mom. I think I must have been watching TV when they called and didn't hear the ring.

I think I mentioned, yesterday, that they were leaving Texas via Highway 180. That's a two-lane road in most places. Those are usually way more slow going than a freeway.

Yet, somehow Mom & Dad made it out of Texas, after leaving Fort Worth at about 11 in the morning, getting all the way to Carlsbad, New Mexico.

I was curious how far Carlsbad is from here. So, I used my Microsoft Streets & Trips program to find out they drove about 430 miles yesterday. I don't think they like to drive after dark. So, assuming it got dark around 6, they had 7 hours driving time. That works out to 61.428571 miles per hour. That number goes up each time they stopped for gas, a restroom break or a McDonald's.

I hope there were no speed limits broken in this mad dash effort to exit Texas!

I think today they are heading towards Bisbee and Tombstone in Arizona. I've been to both. Bisbee is a cool-looking former mining, now artsy type town, with this huge open hole in the center of town called the Lavender Pit. Tombstone, I was a bit disappointed in. They've not done a great job of historical preservation. The day I was in Tombstone happened to be Helldorado Days, which turned out to be a really raucous-filled deal with guns blasting and girls on floats in bikinis, which seemed totally incongruous.

I don't know if Mom & Dad are going to the Carlsbad Caverns. I suspect not. I don't know if they've been to them before. I have. It is a lot of walking. They don't like walking. I remember you walk quite a distance and then end up in this huge cavern space at the end of the tour, where there is a fast food type joint, if I remember right, and other amenities. When you are ready to get out of there, you get on an elevator that brings you back to the surface. I enjoyed Carlsbad Caverns, though it was so long ago my memory is a bit hazy.

No comments: