Monday, January 5, 2009

Early Incoming Mom and Dad In Freezing Rain

The forecast was for freezing rain. Ending by noon. It is past noon now. And the freezing rain continues to fall. There are icicles.

I told my Mom on Saturday that we were predicted to have freezing rain on Monday. She told me they would get here on Tuesday.

Right after that a pipeline broke somewhere, shutting off my water. What to do for lunch, I wondered. The water is back running now.

Around 10 this morning I made them a reservation, for tomorrow, at a Studio Plus. Right after that my Mom is on the phone telling me they are almost here, as in at 11am they were passing Ablilene. When I got that call I already had my day planned and was about to head out the door.

So, I called Studio Plus and told them they were 2 or 3 hours out and could we move the reservation up a day. No problem. The Studio Plus has a nice kitchen. Maybe my Mom will have a cooking project. If I were like my little sister I'd assign her one. Or two.

I quickly changed my plans, wrapped their Xmas presents that I'd procrastinated, took care of some other things. And now I wait.

This drippy gray freezing rain is a perfect metaphor for how I'm feeling right now.

No comments: