Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Getting A Good Poking In Texas, Polly The Parrot & A Heat Wave

That's my pet bird, Polly the Parrot, outside my computer room window, this morning. She'd been walking back and forth on the brick ledge outside the window, looking at me. That was cute, but by the time I got my camera turned on, Polly had hopped to a post on the patio. And wasn't looking at me.

No need to worry, Polly the Parrot and Shirley the Squirrel get along fine.

We've hit 80 again today. Same predicted for tomorrow. The pool was a bit warmer this morning due to the warmer temperatures. I lasted about 3 minutes before I started to worry about my extremities being too traumatized. By tomorrow the water should be quite a bit warmer. I've got the windows in this place open and am contemplating closing them and turning on the A/C for the first time in 2009. Texas weather is so schizophrenic. We'll probably have another ice storm in 3 days.

At noon I went up to Sprouts Farmers Market for my regular Wednesday stock up of good stuff. When I got back here, around 3, and checked my email, I had the answer to a question that had vexed me ever since I started doing Facebook.

That question was, "What does a Facebook poke mean?" Now, I was not long into my Texas exile when I learned what a Texas poke means. Basically a Texas poke can be both a verb and a noun, just like an other often used word that has a "k" in it that describes the same thing. So, with that in mind I was a bit surprised when the first of my large group of 4 Facebook friends "poked" me.

So, I guess it was on this Facebook thing called "The Wall" that I asked Gar the Texan if he knew what a Facebook Poke meant. Gar said he did not know, but the idea of it made him nervous and embarrassed him. I knew what he meant.

Then, this morning I got a Facebook message from someone named Joely Ann, telling me that if I Facebook Friended her that she'd tell me what a Facebook Poke was. And so I Friended her.

Then I got back here and there was a Facebook message from Joely telling me, "Garland is a bit conservative when it comes to poking...he hasn't had the pleasure of experiencing the full FB poke. It's an application that you allow into your world...or you can choose not to (as Garland has). There are the average pokes without animation and there are the PREMIUM pokes with full animation. You can choose to be mean or nice...depending upon your mood. Basically, it's a virtual hug, pinch, slap or kiss...whatever you feel like doing."

She referenced Gar the Texan, so I figured Joely must be one of Gar the Texan's hundreds of Facebook Friends. So, I clicked on Joely's Facebook Profile, which I can now look at because I Facebook Friended her. And sure enough, Joely graduated from the same little high school Gar the Texan graduated from, that being Wink High School. I guess WHS must be in the town of Wink, but I thought Gar the Texan was from Kermit. I do know that Gar the Texan was the top student in his high school class. He had 7 classmates, if I remember right. That is one small school. I probably could have even managed to be the top student, in my class, if the class was that small.

After reading what Joely told me about Facebook Poking I tried to Super Poke her, but it got confusing and so I gave up, so now my Facebook Profile is saying "Durango is trying to Poke someone." That'd be embarrassing if I had 100s of Facebook Friends reading it, but I've actually met only 50% of my 4 Facebook Friends, so I'm pretty much impervious to Facebook embarrassment, unlike poor overexposed Gar the Texan.

When I got to the Super Poke part of my Poking Attempt I saw that today's top Super Poke is "Wishing a Happy Hump Day to..." with a charming animation of a dog doing something unnatural to a fire hydrant. That was the Super Poke I tried to send to Joely that has Facebook saying I'm in the midst of trying to poke someone.

I begin to worry that Facebook may be too complicated for me.

No comments: