Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Six Flags Over Texas Roller Coasting

I've been to Six Flags Over Texas twice. Both times due to being given free passes. When I moved to Texas I thought it'd be fun living near what I assumed would be something like Disneyland. Sadly I was not out of the Six Flags parking lot before I realized Six Flags was no Disneyland.

Six Flags Over Texas is known for its roller coasters. I had not been on a roller coaster since I took my nephews to Vegas a couple months before I moved. In Vegas I rode the New York New York roller coaster. It is a bumpy ride but not bone jarring. In the photo that is me and my nephew Joey in the front seats on the NYNY coaster.

By the time I made my first visit to Six Flags I knew their Texas Giant wooden roller coaster was one of the world's tallest and that it had been named by some group of professional roller coaster riders as the Best Wooden Roller Coaster in the world.

I'd been on a wooden roller coaster before, at the PNE in Vancouver, Canada. The Canadian wooden roller coaster did not prepare me for the Texas Giant. It may be my age-related frailness, but by the time I got off the Texas Giant my bones were aching, my back felt like I'd been in a Nazi torture chamber, my neck was twisted. And my hair was a total mess.

And so I vowed to never get on another roller coaster. And I haven't.

You can ride the Texas Giant via the YouTube video below. And go to my Eyes on Texas website for more Six Flags coaster rides.

No comments: