Wednesday, May 14, 2008

James Garner, Stroke at 80

I was surprised to learn this morning that one of my all time favorite actors, James Garner, is now 80 years old. He suffered a mild stroke on May 9, followed by surgery May 11. Prognosis good.

James Garner being 80 makes me feel very old. In my mind's eye he's a young guy. His Rockford Files TV series is one of my all time favorites. I'm not alone in that regard. The Rockford Files was where famed TV writer Stephen J. Cannell got his reputation for fine, sophisticated, funny writing with believable, real characters and complicated plots that made sense.

James Garner always reminded me of my dad. Tall, dark and handsome with an easy going way about him. Come to think of it, my dad is rapidly approaching 80. In very good health. He was out golfing on Mother's Day with my brother-in-law and nephew. I don't know how he got away with leaving my mom home alone on Mother's Day.

I'm hoping James Garner makes a full recovery and does yet one more Rockford Files TV Movie. I remember reading him say he can't do Rockford anymore due to not being able to run due to bad knees. Rockford in a wheelchair, rather than a Firebird might be amusing. It worked for Perry Mason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.