Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Sweltering Bike Ride To Calm Cool Sikes Lake


My bike took me north on the Circle Trail this morning, before it got too HOT to be fun to do such a thing.

Long before noon I stopped for a shady moment under a Sikes Lake gazebo, where I checked my phone to see the temperature was 90, with the humidity making it really feel like 93.

As you can see via the ripple-less water on the lake the air is being pretty much dead calm, zero cooling wind blowing.

When I roll around Sikes Lake I always think that is an interesting tree you see my handlebars looking at. 

And that trash can you see my handlebars looking at always reminds me of Fort Worth's million dollar homage to a trash can. That work of imaginary art which sits at the center of a roundabout inside the mess made by the Trinity River Central City Uptown Panther Island District Vision Boondoggle.

Speaking of Fort Worth, now that I am vaccinated and sort of free to move about the country, I had been thinking driving to DFW for the first time in well over a year might be fun. But, I can't seem to muster the energy to make that happen.

I used to think driving a few hundred miles was no big deal, but I guess not having done such in such a long time has me re-programmed somehow.

Maybe I should start with a shorter drive, such as north to Lawton in Oklahoma, where Fort Sill is located, which is where I think Geronimo is buried, if my memory is serving me accurately, which it probably isn't.

So far, during this HEAT wave, the power has not blacked out at my location. Apparently, according to the local news, the Texas grid is currently greatly strained trying to keep the power flowing.

I don't think it will be as miserable losing power during a heat wave as was the miserable case losing power during last winter's sub-zero disaster.

I can keep cool in the bathtub...

No comments: