Saturday, May 21, 2016

Wichita Bluff Was Not Ready So I Counted Benches At Lucy Park

When I left my abode today in the noon time frame it was my intention to do some communing with nature at a new location on this first blue sky day in several days.

Since they were on my way to my intended destination I dropped into their town to see if the Wichita Falls Prairie Dogs were receiving visitors.

They were.

Leaving the Prairie Dogs I turned right where I usually turn left to climb Mount Wichita, and headed north to find the Wichita Bluff Nature Area.

Well.

When I reached the nice new entry to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area with its equally nice and new parking lot it was soon obvious that this was an under construction work in progress. I came to this conclusion when I saw the trail you see above was blocked with a fence and a sign which said something like "For Your Safety Proceed No Further Construction Work In Progress." I could see some buildings under construction. Likely modern restroom facilities and picnic pavilions, since those seem to be the norm in all Wichita Falls parks, just like such is the norm in most modern American towns.

So, with communing with nature at the Wichita Bluff Nature Area not available I continued northeast a short distance to Lucy Park where I had myself a mighty fine time along with a lot of other people.

The Wichita River is running a bit more water, due to recent deluging, than when I last walked beside it. The color of the water in the Wichita River reminds me of Utah's redrock zone. I rather like it. I did not see a single piece of litter floating in the river, unlike another Texas river I can think of named Trinity.

The redrock river color would not seem to be conducive to fishing, yet I saw several guys with poles angling over the water.


Way back in 2005 I was at a party at the next door neighbor of Samson and Deliah in Kent, Washington. I liked the color scheme in the neighbor's house. It reminded me of Utah. Sort of like the Wichita River color scheme you see above, Redrock orange, green, tan, brown. All that is missing is a dash of muted turquoise.

I have mentioned before that all the Wichita Falls parks I have been to have had a lot of benches. Many of the rocking sort. Along the paved trails which run all over town there are a lot of benches. And drinking fountains.

Below is an example of one of the swinging benches, strategically placed under the shade of a tree.


At one point later in my walk around Lucy Park I stood in one spot and counted 17 benches as I made a 360 degree scan of the horizon. I tried to get a photo of the plethora of benches but that did not turn out well.

World traveler, Mr. Galtex, travels the world seeking out comfortable benches and then has Mrs. Galtex snap a photo of him sitting on his latest bench discovery. Mr. Galtex would have himself a field day in the Wichita Falls parks. With no need to use his passport....

No comments: