Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This Morning In Corpus Christi Then Hiking The Veterans Park Jungle At Noon

No. That is not a trail on the Tandy Hills in the picture. It is a picture of a trail in Veterans Park in Arlington, taken today around noon.

I had to be in Arlington today, hence dropping in on Veterans Park.

The Barnett Shale Natural Gas Drilling Operation, across the street from Veterans Park was in full noise making mode today. I shot some video. I have not listened to it yet to hear if it caught the noise. I'm also not sure, but I think I may have made a video of a drilling operation in this location before. So many videos, such bad memory.

Veterans Park is one of the best parks I've seen in the D/FW Metroplex. It has a lot going on. There is a Xeriscape Garden, showing you what you can grow in Texas, naturally, with little water. Then a more formal garden. There is a complex of trails that winds through the Xeriscape and formal garden.

There is a nice playground for kids. Baseball fields. A Disk Golf Course. Covered picnic pavilions. A stage. Big open hilly fields of grass. A paved trail of a couple miles. And a wild zone that is like a jungle.

The Veterans Park Jungle is where I hiked today. I used to do this all the time. I think discovering the Tandy Hills put an end to it. The Veterans Park Jungle is hilly, heavily wooded and covered with a maze of trails. It took me a long time to stop getting lost in there.

Part of the wild zone is more open and sort of a redrock color. There are several Disk Golf "holes" in this zone, so you have to be on the lookout for flying disks.

As the big dry out from Tropical Storm Hermine continues, the humidity has fallen to 62%, which is still very humid, hence it is very muggy out there. A mugginess not made less muggy by the little bit of rain that dripped for a few minutes a few minutes ago.

I don't quite understand why today's Veterans Park hiking was so much more dampness inducing than yesterday's HOT Tandy Hills hiking, hiking which is much more strenuous, might I add.

But I was pretty much drenched when I sat for a minute or two in one of the gazebos in the Veterans Park Xeriscape zone.

The extreme wetness was sort of embarrassing. I went to the Pantego ALDI after I left Veterans Park, pretty much looking as if I'd just gotten out of a pool.

This morning I was virtually down in Corpus Christi again, this time checking out the bar and club scene and some hotels. I want to move to Corpus Christi.

No comments: